Monday, February 2, 2009

Meet Michelle of ArtisticAnimal










Brandy

As you know, we lost a beloved family member on January 19th. A fellow Etsy artist offered to paint a painting of her. I am pleased with the painting and wanted to introduce you to this talented artist.

You can visit her shop here:


How many years have you been an artist?
For as long as I can remember. My mom has a drawing I did of a pink striped elephant when I was two and I have a clear memory of creating a mural on my wall when I was 4 or 5. My dad wasn’t too happy about that!

How many years have you painted animals?
The first painting of an animal that is still around is the previously mentioned elephant with pink stripes. That would make it at least 38 years.

What triggers ideas for new projects?
Life. I’m constantly inspired by the beauty of the earth and the creatures that inhabit her. I’m so grateful to be able to see things this way and find joy and inspiration all around me.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
There’s no set “time” for inspiration. Every bag I have has a small sketchbook in it. I’ve also been known to use napkins, matchbooks, receipts, whatever I can find to track an idea. They come all the time - I just wish I could learn how to not sleep and still function:-)

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
Always. I adopted the motto “Art is life, Life is art” several years ago. I really believe that. Everything that one does can be done with a sense of artistry. Once you start seeking beauty you realize that it is around you at all times - even in things that many would at first recoil from. That’s why I’m also enthusiastic about painting exotic pets, like snakes and tarantulas too - they have their own unique beauty that I hope my art will help to convey.
Do you create daily?
Yes. I also have a full time job as a garden coordinator/designer, which is creative in its own right, but I’m also constantly making quick sketches and notes for future paintings and art projects.

How important is it for you to create art?
It’s 100% vital to who I am. I honestly don’t think I would survive without it. It’s an integral part of who I am.

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?
I suppose some could see it that way, but the gift of creating and seeing the world the way I do is something that I would never give up, so I don’t consider it a sacrifice. I feel blessed to be an artist. Even though I have forgone some luxury items, I wouldn’t change the path I have chosen.

Describe your studio.
Right now it’s a corner of our bedroom - a desk, computer and a bazillion art supplies. We’re currently looking for a house though, so soon I’ll hopefully have a real studio.

Tell me something about you.
I’m endlessly fascinated by everything and finding the interconnections is a very important part of who I am. The idea of synchronicity in quantum physics fascinates me and I’ve seen it play out time and again. I believe this is why I’m so adamant about creating art about and for animals. We are inextricably connected to all life on this planet and I hope that my art reflects this.






No comments: