Friday, February 27, 2009

Meet Celyn of GazedUponGlass



Meet Celyn of GazedUponGlass
You can visit her etsy shop here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5139399

How many years have you been an artist?

I've been creating things since I was two years old. So many, many years. ;)

How many years have you worked with glass?

I believe I've been working with glass for about 8 years. Could be more but I'm bad with dates.

What triggers ideas for new projects?

Colors, things I see everyday, shapes... sometimes the I let the glass tell me what it wants to be. A lot of my work is people asking for specific things which sparks creativity.

When do ideas come to you? How often?

I get ideas all the time. I get the best ones right before I fall asleep or when I'm dreaming. I try to write them down as soon as I remember.

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?

Right now I'm concentrating mostly on two of my greatest creations, my toddlers. LOL!(This is a 24 hour job.) I try to work on my glass in the evening or the weekend. Right now I'm making glass pieces for a glass exchange that will be held next month. I also have some new things for my shop done but I can't seem to find the time to photograph and list them.

Do you create daily?

I create something everyday. If it's not glass, it's something I've crocheted or soap I've made for my other Etsy shop. I also just got a brand new sewing machine so I've been playing with that also.

How important is it for you to create art?

Very. I feel wonderful after I've completed something. It makes me so happy when someone else is made happy by something I've made. It also makes me feel good to know my art will still be here even after I am gone.

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?

I couldn't be happier. I'm doing what I love. The only thing I have given up is space to house all my tools and supplies.

Describe your studio.

I work all over the house. I do my cutting and creating in a sunny office type space that has two work tables, rolling bins, a desk and pegboards on the walls to hold my tools and some of my work. My kiln is downstairs where I also a small room that holds all of my glass. There are also two workbenches that hold various tools and supplies. This is also where I do my grinding.

Tell me something about you.

I'm married and am very fortunate to have a loving and supportive husband that believes in me and what I love to do. I have four fabulous kids ranging in age from 2-21. I love to play card games, read and garden. I wish I had glass friends that lived close by so we could have coffee, talk about glass and create together. :)

No comments: