Friday, January 30, 2009

Meet Pam Of PamelaAngus








Visit her wonderful shop here:


How many years have you been an artist?
Well I left fulltime employment in 2002 so I could lead a more creative life, so I guess 2002?

How many years have you worked with glass?
I took a course in traditional stained glass 2003 (or was 2004?) just before we moved to France, then I didn't work with it again for about a year or so. It's only in the last couple of years that I've been 'experimenting' with copperfoil technique.

What triggers ideas for new projects?
Beautiful things! If I see something pretty and wonderful and that catches my imagination I wonder if I can make it in stained glass - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! I have files full of magazine clippings from about the last 15 years - mostly home interior/life style stuff) I sometimes sit down with paper and a pen and 'doodle' whilst I look through them, usually the paper is just a mass of chaotic nonsense but sometimes, in the corner, there's a shape or an idea I'll try. I never throw my 'ideas' pages away ...even if I don't think there's anything useful there maybe one day I will!!

When do ideas come to you? How often?
Usually when I'm in the middle of another project which is really annoying!!

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
I thinking about it 99% which isn't healthy! I wish I could forget about it but my mind is always busy (and in chaos!) The amount of time I spend each day actually making pieces varies greatly - there are spells where I can't settle to anything so I just don't force myself and other days where I will work all day and get grumpy because I have to stop for meals!

Do you create daily?
I'll usually try to do something most days, even if that's just putting beads on a garland.

How important is it for you to create art?
I like the ideas and I like the finished work but I don't crave the actual 'creating' part of the process. Ideally, I would have the ideas and then little elves would make the pieces :)

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?
If I was a single person I would'nt be able to live on my income (yet! ) so having a supportive partner has been necessary. I really miss going clothes shopping without feeling guilty!!!!! Every purchase is a consider one now (which really takes the fun out of it ) But I don't have a horrible commute to work anymore, I can take a day off work on a whim and I'm in control of my life :)

Describe your studio
I have 2 rooms. The smaller one is for glass cutting and paperwork etc, and the adjoining room is a large room with a cathedral ceiling (very hard to heat in winter!!) I do my assembling of pieces there and hang my work there too. It's painted white and light grey and has loads of natural light and a warm breeze flows through in the summer and you can hear the mountain stream - I feel very fortunate. The door leads out onto a balcony with a view down the valley and across to the Chartreuse mountains, and steps down to the side of the house. My next door neighbour is a honey producer and my studio used to be his shop and exhibition space.

Tell me something about you.
When I'm in the supermarket I like to find miniature versions of foods (such like half bottles of champagne) I hold them so that just for a fleeting second I can feel like a giant. This week it was baby pineapples :)

5 comments:

Heli said...

Love Pam's work. love. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great feature and for us to know about Pam. She sure does have beautiful glass pieces. :) A talented lady.

Sigmosaics said...

Pam's work is totally stunning!! great to read more about her .. thank you both for sharing :D

ingermaaike said...

It is so much fun to get to know Pam just that bit more! Thank you for sharing.

kraplap said...

great interview !

"I like the ideas and I like the finished work but I don't crave the actual 'creating' part of the process." hmmmmmmm exactly the same for me .........