Friday, February 13, 2009

Meet Carrie of Calyxann





Meet Carrie of Calyxann

You can visit her shop here:
How many years have you been an artist?

I have always wanted to be an artist. When I was very young, my favorite activities were drawing, singing, dancing and composing music. I grew up with a quilter, which means that I learned a lot about color and composition. My mom taught me how to sew and quilt. I saved magazines for potential collage material. While everyone was downstairs watching TV, I would be in my room creating with my colored pencils and writing poetry. I used to keep a journal next to my bed, because right before I fell into sleep was the time when I would get inspired and write entire poems all at once. I finally started to pursue art in a more "formal" manner after I obtained a BS degree in Horticulture. I moved to California to enter the wine industry, but ended up taking art classes at the junior college in Napa. A few years later, I found some introductory classes in hot glass paperweights and glass fusing. From that moment, I was hooked! I took beginning stained glass and beadmaking, and between classes, I dropped into the studio anytime I could to see if I could help out in any way possible. Now, I work in two glass studios in Napa and St. Helena.

How many years have you worked with glass?

Since my beginning glass days in the winter of 2006.

What triggers ideas for new projects?

Everything! Especially when I'm on vacation and away from the studio...I keep a journal specifically for new ideas. I love looking at magazines, shops, stores, quilts, flowers, and more for patterns/colors/shapes/inspiration. When I go to friend's house and I have my camera, I snap pictures of fabrics/rugs/ceramics. There's inspiration everywhere!
When do ideas come to you? How often?
Constantly. Like I said, magazines provide a huge source of inspiration...from actual projects, to graphics in ads, and color combinations. I like to tear out bits that I am attracted to and add them to my inspiration journal. I also drag images from my browser to my desktop when I see something that I really like, or a new technique that I'd like to try out and add it to my inspiration folder.

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?

It really depends on the day...sometimes I spend the majority of my day working on projects, but I work on several different projects. I guess I think about art constantly, in color combinations, etc.

How important is it to create?

I am bombarded with new ideas constantly. For me to be able to surround myself with artwork and one of a kind pieces is such a luxury that I can't imagine not creating!

Do you create daily?

Unfortunately, no...well, kind of...I work with glass daily, but a lot of times, it's not my work specifically. I change out the kilns, clean the studio and assemble studio projects, teach others how to create with glass, and I assist with hot glass projects. Not so glamorous, but the payoff is the chance to learn new techniques constantly!

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?

I am blessed to have a "real job" that pays the bills, three days a week. It allows me plenty of time to learn new techniques and create, without having to mass produce and mass market. I love my lifestyle!

Describe your studio.

My garage studio is a huge workbench that my husband and father built for me, along with massive steel shelves that keep each discipline separate and organized. I've also got reclaimed Bullseye Glass pallets for sheet glass storage, and then multiple smaller boxes for smaller pieces and scrap glass. My living room "studio" consists of several bead boxes and tools that I arrange on the coffee table when the mood strikes.My personal studios are not nearly as well organized as the studios I "work" in. I assist in two glass studios in Napa Valley. The fused and stained glass studio, M. Mitcavish Glass Studio, is conveniently located just 5 blocks from my house! There's a small retail shop in front that sells glass, supplies, and finished goods. The rest of the studio is dedicated to three large work benches, a sand-blasting booth, a grinding and cutting station, a plethora of fusing molds, and mama, papa and baby kilns. The other studio that I assist in is a hot glass

Tell me something about you.

I still love sewing and quilting, but find little time to pull out my sewing machine and set up my cutting table. However, I was inspired to combine quilting with glass in 2007. My mother died of ovarian cancer, and had a great support network in her quilting friends. Both as a tribute to her and as thanks to her friends, I made my very first fused glass quilt plates as gifts. The plates weren't planned, and just happened as I was teaching myself to use my cutting board. The colors weren't even chosen consciously, but just happened to be my mom's favorite colors, as well. That was my 'Aha!' moment, when I made a decision to incorporate the ideas of quilting with glass. Since then, I've done fused glass plates, stained glass windows, and even a mosaic tabletop in the images of quilts. My next big project will be a fused glass window tribute piece, incorporating elements of both my mother's love of quilting with my husband's father's paintings. I'm excited to take on the challenge of transcription of painted art pieces into glass!

No comments: