Friday, October 31, 2008

Meet Nancy Addante of Smokeylady54


Meet Nancy Addante of Smokeylady54

You can visit her great Etsy store here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=37929

How many years have you been an artist?
I have been working in different art forms since Grammar School.Just always loved playing with different colors in any type of medium.I was a art major in High School and spent some time at the Art Instutite of Chicago.

How many years have you worked with glass?
I stated working in lampworking about 2 years ago. But I did work withsemi-precious beads to make jewelry for years.

What triggers ideas for new projects?
Just sitting still and looking at the world that surrounds us.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
All different times. While driving, pulling weeds from my garden, cooking dinner. Some times I have to stop what I am doing and write notes. And I think of different ways to make a necklace or a bead all the time, they just do not always look like what my mind thinks they will and NO one gets to see those items.

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
At least 6 hours a day to really work on things, wish I had more time in the day to play as it really is not work!

Do you create daily?
I am not always torching, but putting necklaces together, cleaning beads, pulling necklaces apart if I do not like the looks of them (that happens often)Pulling rods that I want to work with, etc. I also have old customers that still buy my note cards so at least one day a week is devoted to that.

How important is it for you to create art?
I would be lost if I could not make items with my hands. Pete would more than likely commit me, I would just get crazy, well more so than I am now.

Do you feel that choosing the artist's life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?
You always give up something when you create but it is so worth it. It is a joy not a sacrifice in any form. Sure I spend money on glass and other things instead of a new car or clothes but it is worth it.

Describe your studio:
I work in a small spot in my basement and clean it up every time I am done for the day or I could not do the laundry.....LOL sad but true!!!!!

Tell me something about you:
I am just a 61 year old lady that loves what I do. I just hope that I get to do lampworking for a long long time.....

No comments: