Friday, October 3, 2008

Meet Linda Turvey of Studio17!!!





I am pleased to introduce you to Linda Turvey of Studio17.

You can visit her wonderful etsy shop here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5004773


Below is my interview with this talented artist:


How many years have you been an artist?
I’ve always considered myself a glass craftsman when someone asks me this question. I’m still exploring and experimenting pushing the boundaries to see how far the beautiful magical world of glass can take me.

How many years have your worked with glass?
It all started over 25 years ago. The journey began with the copper foil stained glass technique. Mosaics then piqued my curiosity and now kiln work. It’s been a rewarding time.

What triggers ideas for new projects?
It could be almost anything, something I’ve seen in passing, a picture, and especially talking with others.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
Ideas come to me at the oddest times, mostly when I’m having a quite moment to myself. My creative mind is always working especially when I’m involved with a project, or someone needs help with a idea.

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
I’m limited to the evenings to work on my art, or to teach the classes I have. By day I’m a engraver, it too is very creative for me.

Do you create daily?
Yes I do I’ve always got projects on the table, and am in the studio every evening and full days on the weekend.

How important is it for you to create art?
My art is my way to unwind from my hectic schedule. I get lost in time when I’m creating it’s very relaxing for me. Every once in a while I have to step back, but it’s more catching up on sleep than anything.

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice? Have you given up certain luxuries?
Not at all, I’m fortunate that my husband and family supports what I’m doing and understand the goals I’ve set and are helping me achieve them. With teaching I’ve met and shared my passion for glass and been able to start my students on their journey with glass.

Describe your studio.
My studio is the basement of my home. I have two rooms set up. The main area is my working space. A big table sits in the center of the room for working on. Around the perimeter of the room are shelves, benches and cupboards for all my tools of the trade. I’m forever re-organizing things to make my space efficient to working in. I tell my students don’t get use to that being there because it might not be there next week. I’ve also have a computer, TV, DVD and radio in this space. I have a room off the main studio that holds all my glass and mosaic supplies.

Tell me something about you.
I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. My SO and I have been together 27 years, in 2007 we decided to get married. Our DD and SIL are in the process of a International Adoption, we’re all very excited about this, and I’m waiting patiently for the day I can hold my Grandchild.
I also enjoy gardening, and reading. I’m constantly researching to find new ways to work with glass and take classes my self in areas that interest me.

2 comments:

Curley said...

Thanks so much Yvonne. Looks great.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Great interview! It's nice to get to know you, Linda.