Saturday, October 25, 2008

Meet Sonnee McCabe of Eccentricity!!!






Meet Sonnee McCabe of Eccentricity
You can visit her store here:

How many years have you been an artist?
I started painting dried gourds and working with gourd masks and fiber work in 1989 on a regular basis. Before that I did occasional work with "wearable art" and home decor. I definitely fall into the "late bloomer" category.

How many years have you worked with glass?
I took my first stained glass class 5 years ago and was a total klutz at soldering. I then took a class in fused glass and was immediately hooked on it.

What triggers ideas for new projects?
It can literally be anything. I am drawn to color and texture and abstract design.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
The ideas come more frequently than the product. I can't begin to keep up with myself. I do go through periods of non-creativity though and have learned it is best to honor those times and take the time off. If I try and go ahead and work, I usually do not have good results.

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
Well I think about it daily and I have a home studio so I am in and out of it all the time. I don't have a regular schedule though. Some days I work for 5-6 hours or more and then it may be a few days before I do anything else. When the pressure is on and my inventory is low, I really get busy and work long hours. I tend to work late at night or mid-day. Early mornings are never good for me.

Do you create daily?
I always have a creative project of some type going but it is not always fused glass. I also sew and do alot of home decor work, I paint floor cloths and furniture, I work in my flower garden. I still do some small wearable art items and I make some wall pieces out of recycled objects. I have to have variety in my work but the downside is that I frequently get too much going at one time and then I don't do anything as well as I would like.

How important is it for you to create art?
It is my "sanity". It is definitely an integral part of who I am.

Do you feel that choosing the artist's life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?
Well I no doubt would starve to death if I had to support myself but I am very fortunate to have a husband who supports and sustains me in doing my art work. I also didn't start doing it until after I took early retirement from the health care field.

Describe your studio:
My studio is actually an enclosed porch. It is fairly large with alot of windows and a small garden pond with a waterfall outside which I can hear even with the windows closed. It doesn't have alot of storage space and it serves as my sewing room, crafts area, computer center as well as my fused glass studio. I have a small kiln in it and a larger one in the garage. It is a cheerful and peaceful room and my favorite place in our home.

Tell me something about you:
I have lived in south Florida for the past 15 years and before that in Colorado and DC. I grew up in WV and went to school in KY. I graduated from UK in Social Work and worked in mental health for 25 years. I have been married for longer than most of you have been alive. I have two grown children, five grandchildren and one ornery little cairn terrier named "Zoe". I do volunteer work with the local humane society in their pet therapy department. Zoe is one of the "Paws to Read" dogs where kids who are having difficulty reading read aloud to the dogs. I am an avid gardener and like to spend as much time as possible outdoors. I love working with the fused glass and I am fascinated at the moment with the "pot melts" and the randomness of the designs.

No comments: