Friday, October 10, 2008

Meet Amy Holms of Formfireglassworks





I am pleased to introduce you to Amy Holms of Formfireglassworks


Visit her shop:


How many years have you been an artist?

I think I have been an artist all my life - I have always done crafty things and have considered myself a serial hobbyist up until recently. I have done most everything: calligraphy, scrapbooking, knitting, crocheting, spinning, sewing, quilting, beading, jewelry and now glass.


How many years have you worked with glass?

I have been working with glass only a short time - almost a year and a half. It kills me to think of what I could have accomplished by now if I had begun sooner!


What triggers ideas for new projects?

Usually it is just sitting around and thinking about the different ways I can modify my existing series. But sometimes it is looking through magazines, seeing colors or patterns that interest me.


When do ideas come to you? How often?

I have ideas all that time, and unfortunately not enough time to work them all out. Someday...


What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?

I think about it most of my waking hours in one way or another, but I am very limited in actual work time.


Do you create daily?

I wish I could. I am hoping to get a home set-up by the end of the year, but right now I am renting studio time. With their schedule, a day job and kids to drive all over the place, I only get to work on my glass about 2-4 hours a week.


How important is it for you to create art?

It is very important to me. I believe that aesthetics should not be an afterthought, but are an integral part in bringing joy into our daily routines.


Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?

Have you given up certain luxuries?

I have been lucky in that although I have a limited time for my glasswork, my dayjob is a creative one. I design custom homes by career, so I have not really had to give up anything to be creative. I find that I have made many more sacrifices in the name of parenting (working a crazy schedule and taking time off when needed) than I have to live a creative life.


Describe your studio.

Since I have been working out of an outside studio, I don't have a lot of things set up at home. I just got a new kiln which I hope to set up with a torch in the garage. I currently use our extra room as my office and have a mish-mosh of glass, silver, tools and packaging all over my desk.


Tell me something about you.

As an artist, I strive for simplicity and consistency. I love clean lines and beautiful color. I am a modernist by nature.As a person, the layout of my life revolves around my twin 11-yr-old girls. All of my choices are built around getting them educated, grown and matured. And then to college - then I can really have time to do all the fun stuff!

6 comments:

Fused Glass said...

I Love these get to know the artist Yvonne! Great idea!

DAINTYCROCHETBYALY said...

Hi Ivonne, nice to meeting you, and yes Ammy's art is so gorgeous!! have a wonderful day everyone!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Great interview, Yvonne and Amy!

Jennifer Cameron said...

Great interview! I enjoyed learning more about Amy and how she works.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Great article! I'm a big fan of Amy's work!

AltheaP said...

Great interview and article on a great artist and wonderful person!