Thursday, November 6, 2008

Meet Krista Queeney Of KristasKiln




Meet Krista Queeney Of KristasKiln

You can visit her great Etsy store here:


How many years have you been an artist?
I have always been interested in art in some form. Over the years I’ve learned you don’t need to create a masterpiece to be an artist. If you have a creative mind and can find the beauty in the every day world, you are an artist.

How many years have you worked with glass?
I have been working with glass for about two years now. It was at a craft fair that I first saw the magic of dichroic glass and it just sparked something inside me that made me have to learn more.

What triggers ideas for new projects?
Ideas can come to me by simply going through a craft or decorating magazine, reading about a new technique on-line and seeing all the beautiful and varied works in the CGGE. Many times I am at my work table with various pieces and colors and the inspiration comes suddenly from playing around with what is there in front of me. I will start making something totally different than what I originally planned.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
Sometimes I think of a way of doing something new as I am going to sleep. I need to get up and write it down so I can fall asleep without worrying I am going to forget by morning! My car is another place where new ideas can spring up. I keep paper and a pen in there just in case.

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
I try to get as much done in the morning as I can. Once my kids are home from school they take up my time until they are in bed. Late nights at my worktable are also not uncommon.

Do you create daily?
Between my glass and photography it is a rare day when art is not a part of it.

How important is it for you to create art?
It is simply part of who I am.

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?
It has only been in the past two years that I have forsaken a regular paycheck to concentrate more fully on my glass. I’ve always fit art in between my regular job and raising my kids.

Describe your studio.
It’s just a small corner of our basement. Nothing fancy in the least. It’s next to the family room so I have lots of company down there.

Tell me something about you.
I have lived on the coast of Massachusetts my whole life. I’ve been married 16 years and have three great children ages 9-13. Besides glass and photography, I also enjoy working with clay. I love to read, bike ride and get out for walks in the woods or the beach.

No comments: