Friday, April 3, 2009

Meet Lloyd of BurningScentsations








Meet Lloyd of BurningScentsations
You can visit his shop here:

How many years have you been an artist?
I've always been very much into creating and making things ever since I was a little kid. When it comes to arts and crafts, I've just about done it all including knitting, crocheting, latch hook rugs, beaded hotpads, beaded bell ornaments, candles, decopauge, electronics, painting by numbers, macrame, cartooning, animation, model airplanes. That's not all of them, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

How many years have you worked with glass?
I've worked in glass for over 5 years now--which it makes it my longest running endeavor, and my most satisfying. I've just made the switch over to Boro from the soft glass, and that has really ignited my imagination since there is so much more than can be done with it due to its unique properties.

What triggers ideas for new projects?
Everyday life, nature, and just experimentation to see what happens when I combine glass colors together. I'm also often inspired by the other great artists on Etsy and Lampwork Etc. Their wonderful designs push me to learn more and become a better glass artist.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
Often when I'm on the torch, a new idea or design will come to me which I'll then try out. I have a new design that I haven't published yet that was inspired by the hearts I've been making. I need to perfect it a bit more and then I'll be opening a new Etsy shop for it since it's not something I'll sell along with my other glass items.

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
I think about it quite a bit, probably 25% or more. I'm always trying to come up with ways to take what I've learned a take it to another place or develop something no one else has done yet. That's a huge challenge since so many things have been done in one form or another. Work and life tend to take up the rest of my thought processes along with just trying to relax once in a while.

Do you create daily?
No, I don't have time to create daily, work full time and get the photography, listings, blogging and promotion on-line all done in the same day.I do, however, work on some aspect of my art every day whether it's taking pictures, adding Etsy listings, chatting/posting on Facebook, updating my blog, etc.

How important is it for you to create art?
It's very important. I'm always striving to create beautiful pieces that people will treasure for a very long time; while I'm inspired by other artists, I certainly do not want to just copy what has already been done. I want to create original pieces and new designs.That being said, I've just made the switch to Boro and am in a process of learning and experimenting with it to see what I can make it do. There's bound to be some similiarities between my work as I'm learning and other's creations because that's how everyone learns new techniques and skills. I'll be able to put my own spin on things as I get more experience with the new glass.

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?
I suppose if I did only my art full-time, yes I would have to give up certain luxuries like eating, paying bills, living in a home. You know, the niceties. :) I work full-time in computers in addition to doing my glass work, so no I wouldn't say I've given up any luxuries. I do, however, use a lot of time that I would normally have free, but I don't think that's a sacrifice since I'm using it more constructively than I probably would if I didn't pursue my art.I have to say that I really admire those who can do their art full-time, and I hope to one day get there myself. It would certainly be more satisfying than a the corporate grind, but that's going to be a bit down the road yet for me.

Describe your studio.
No-Frills. I work on a Carlisle Mini-CC torch with two Oxy concentrators in my basement. I've set up my venting out the one window in the basement and that seems to work pretty well. I've got two kilns, but only one is set up at the moment, a Blue-Bird bead kiln which works great since it such a large one. I can get a lot of pendants into it when I'm working.

Tell me something about you.
Well, I'm a California native and have lived in Chicago for almost 14 years ( it will be 14 years this May). That's pretty dry stuff.I do live with my partner of 12+ years, Robert, in Roselle with our two dogs. Riley is a Boston Terrier and a retired show dog. Trance a Shepherd mix with bright blue eyes and a great smile! I'm kind of toying with an idea I have for a comic strip that features them as the main characters. The initial character designs are quite fun and challenging. We also have a cat, Lucy, who rules the dogs with an iron claw. They jump when she tells them to, that's for sure.

No comments: