Friday, April 24, 2009

Meet Debbie of grapeislandglass







Meet Debbie of grapeislandglass
You can visit her shop here:

How many years have you been an artist?
I’ve only just become comfortable calling myself a Glass Artist.

How many years have you worked with glass?
About 4 years.What triggers ideas for new projects?
I’m not sure! Ideas just pop into my head. I’ve taken to trying to always have paper with me so I can write them down.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
Anytime, anywhere.

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
Its there all the time.

How important is it for you to create art?
It keeps me sane, I think!

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?
Creating with glass has been a blessing for me. No sacrifices, no loss of luxuries – just don’t touch the chocolate.

Describe your studio.
Like my art, my studio is ever evolving. Or is that ever growing? J My studio is akin to lava, it keeps flowing outward. Right now its in our basement but I’ve been seriously eyeing the barn.

Tell me something about you.
I started with glass because I fell in love with a fused glass coaster. Right around that time my therapist was urging me to find a creative outlet for my grief. So I found a glass studio nearby, The Glass Source, and a fabulous, true Glass Artist, Michael Skrtic, who was happy to teach me. I still try to get to his studio every time I’m in Connecticut.
I live on a small lake in Maine with a great guy who spoils and indulges me. We have 2 dogs, 3 cats, 4 children, 1 son-in-law, and 2 daughters-in-law between us. Life is good!

No comments: