Friday, March 27, 2009

Meet Mollie of Etherealgirls




Meet Mollie of Etherealgirls
You can visit her shop here:

How many years have you been an artist?
I am not sure that I can define how long I have been an artist. I have ALWAYS made things; yep, I cannot remember a time when I was not creating something. From mud pies to magic, I like to make things!

How many years have you worked with glass?
This is an easier question. I began working with glass on February 25th,1977--Yikes, that is 32 years ago! I would like to say I was born with a glass cutter in my hand, but really I was a teen when I signed up for a stained glass class at the local community art school and LOVED it--I have made glass my material of choice ever since.

What triggers ideas for new projects?
The possibility of perfection. Lately I feel like I am caught in the Etsy world of supply and demand. I work a full-time day job aside from making glass, so most of my glass time is spent staying on top of making and listing pendants/necklaces. It really has become just a production, and much less artistically creative and passionate than I would like. Once in a while though I make something that is nearly perfect--the perfect color choice, design, and execution; that keeps me going and inspired.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
Via materials and always. I am always making things--with a long list of "if-I-only-had-more-time" ideas looming. Along with glass fusing, I am currently playing avidly on my torch; experimenting with metal etching, and longing for a long weekend to open the package of BronzClay that has been stored in my refrigerator since September.

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
All my waking hours and a few of the subconscious ones too! I am not sure it is work though--it feels more like play.

Do you create daily?
Without a doubt; though sometimes it is just the perfect cup of coffee I am making! But that is the catalyst for all good things.

How important is it for you to create art?
The process of making things is important to me; whether the finished product is defined as "art" is not. I take great joy in the transformation of materials; sometimes good, sometimes bad--but always interesting.

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?
Could I have chosen to do something more profitable--yes! Did I? Nope. Despite making material items and selling them, I am not into owning things. Once you own a kiln and a torch and a computer, what else do you need? I actually feel pretty blessed to live my simple life.
♥ Describe your studio.
"To the bat cave!" Enough said.

Tell me something about you.
My husband is my best friend; we have been together for 27 years (and yes the glass came before him and he knows it). He is very supportive of all things creative and spends his free time building Greenland kayaks (his tools and kayaks take up even more space than my glass stuff). Add in a few remarkable kids and a couple of equally remarkable dogs and you have the makings of a life worth living. My day job is working for Rings & Things, Wholesale; a small, hometown business that got big without losing its small business values. I dreamed of working for R&T as a teen, and eventually my dreams came true. It is a great place to work and I could not be happier; I get to play with the coolest jewelry stuff and make things for the online store, catalogs, and magazine ads. Pretty cool.

No comments: