Friday, April 17, 2009

Meet Marcia of Sierra Creations





Meet Marcia of Sierra Creations
You can visit her shop here:

How many years have you been an artist?
I started building my own designs 15 years ago.

How many years have you worked with glass?
34 years.

What triggers ideas for new projects?
Magazines and books, ideas from friends and my husband, photos that I've taken, I even wake up in the middle of the night with an idea and have to draw it as soon as I get up.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
Ideas come to me all the time, in the middle of the night, while watching TV, while driving, while hiking and fishing. Stained glass in on my mind at all times. It's a passion

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
About 85% of the day.

Do you create daily?
Yes

How important is it for you to create art?
Very important! It's my passion and I would be lost if I couldn't create my art.

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?
I don't feel that an artist's life has been a sacrifice, it's a way of life. I have not had to give up any luxuries. I feel the the opportunity to create has helped my way of life.

Describe your studio.
We converted one our bedrooms into a studio. It's a bit small and hope some day to build my dream studio. My husband is a woodworker and has built all my tables and racks to hold my glass sheets. I have all the great tools and equipment that a stained glass artist needs except for running water. I have to wash all my pieces in the kitchen sink. I've even taken larger pieces out onto the lawn with a hose and cleaned them there.

Tell me something about you.
Around 1975, after running out of ideas of what to make for Christmas presents, I found a picture of a very simple stained glass piece and decided "I can make that". I went into the local stained glass supply store and got a 20-minute lesson from the owner. He then sent me home with some cheap tools, a how-to book and some free scrap glass and a life long passion for stained glass had begun.I've always had a dream to live in the mountains and dreams can come true. With a long time desire to leave the San Francisco bay area, where I worked for years in the electronics industry, and to get into a slower pace of life, my husband and I moved to the small mountain community of Pioneer, CA, located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, in 2001 where I have enjoyed my art more than ever. We live a great life in the mountains with our two cats and can't see living in any other way.My husband joined me as a partner and we formed a small business named Sierra Creations. My work includes a variety of pieces ranging from smaller items such as suncatchers, candle holders, night lights, to larger framed windows, and custom orders. My husband is the woodworker in the business and creates all my frames, display stands for shows, as well as some of his own designs.

No comments: