Friday, January 16, 2009

Meet Joan of JoanJewels




Meet Joan of JoanJewels
You can visit her shop here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5019032

How many years have you been an artist?
I have been an artist all of my life. I started creating art or crafting since I was little. I came from a very creative family. I would make things out of found objects from the beach that I loved and grew up close to.

How many years have you worked with glass?
I have worked with glass seriously for two years. Glass is my passion and I always love continuing my education. My 6 year old grandson is very interested and I will pass my knowledge (carefully) down to him.

What triggers ideas for new projects?
Nature triggers ideas for new projects. I am most interested in form, texture, and depth of all items. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night thinking of new ideas. I have a pad and paper by the side of my bed so I jot them down right away. If I wait until morning, I will surely forget.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
I have new ideas for projects many times in a week. I just don't have enough time to create everything I think about. I have to prioritize my art glass work. My fused glass knobs and pulls, as well as decorative accent glass tiles is my main product. My art glass home decor and jewelry gives me additional joy to make. Like icing on a cake.

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
I work with glass approximately 32 hours a week. I love every minute of it!

How important is it for you to create art?
Creating art is extremely important to my life. It's my zen time of the day. It's right up there with food, water and family.

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?
I have not given up anything living the artist life. It has brought me the luxury of meeting new friends, being happier and healthier, and spending more time with my family. I wouldn't trade this time of my life for anything!

Describe your studio.
I'm fortunate my glass studio is in my home. So, I can work in my pajamas in the middle of the night if I want to. I am still working on shelving and organizing, especially during the holidays, but I will complete it in the new year.

Tell me something about you.
I am a mom and proud grandmother of 3 beautiful grandchildren, ages 6, 2, and 7 mos. I was born and raised in San Francisco, CA by the beach. We went to Playland at the Beach everyday after school. Until health problems in 2000, I made a living in the corporate world as an accountant. If I hadn't of been sick, I would of never tried making a living as a glass artist, so I have been blessed.
I started my business as JoanJewels, creating art glass jewelry and then had the idea of making glass knobs, pulls, and tiles. So, I changed the company name to Uneek Glass Fusions and built my website to sell my art glass products. The company has been steadily growing and I couldn't be happier. No, I have not given up anything being a glass artist.

No comments: