Friday, November 28, 2008

Meet Linda of Papernclay



Meet Linda of Papernclay!
You can visit her Etsy store here:

How many years have you been an artist?
I think I was born an artist. I've always had to be making something or doing something with my hands as a child.

How many years have you worked with glass?
It's been pretty close to three years.

What triggers ideas for new projects?Nature,color,shapes,textures,patterns,seasons,suggestions from others..... they mostly just happen.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
All the time- very frequently. Most of the time I forget them before I get to use them!

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
I physically work on my art about 20 hours a week. It's hard to measure how much I think about it. I just started lampworking and it really has me charged so I make little lists of things as I think of them to take with me to the studio.

Do you create daily?
Yes, if I can't get to the studio I am always thinking about getting there. It's an obsession of sorts.
How important is it for you to create art?
I've never really thought about that but it must be pretty important, for every spare moment, I think about creating if I am not actually doing it.

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?
No I do not feel it is a sacrifice at all. I instead feel it to be a priveledge. I have however given up my kitchen table to have a convenient work area, one where I can also be with my family as they may need me, or just to listen to their telephone calls.

Describe your studio.
My studio is the furnace room in the basement. A place where glass is remote from my family. I have 2 kilns, a torch, a grinder and lots of glass and other supplies. It's quiet there and The only noise is when the furnace kicks in. I really like it there. I even have two small windows which is one thing I'd change if I could- lots of sunlight would be welcome there.

Tell me something about you.
I work fulltime as a floral designer where I've been employed for 32 years. I have 2 wonderful children 19 and 10 years old. I also enjoy the fellowship of a wonderful church family where I volunteer in the children's ministy. I teach children's church regularly and coordinate the crafts for our annual Bible School program. I believe life is short and one needs to do what makes them happy...within reason of course!

1 comment:

papernclay said...

Thanks Yvonne- You're a peach!