Friday, December 12, 2008

Meet Sharon of shasglasscrafts



Meet Sharon of Shasglasscrafts
You can visit her wonderful Etsy store here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5036468

How many years have you been an artist?
I’ve thought of myself of a creative person rather than an artist. I’ve had so many different creative outlets since I was a child, I guess it’s been most of my life.

How many years have you worked with glass?
After admiring stained glass for years, I finally took a class in 1991 at a local studio. I then bought all the tools and I’m still at it.

What triggers ideas for new projects?
The shape of a piece of scrap glass can give me an idea. Colors and nature inspire me. Really it could be anything.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
I have had ideas or designs come to me in dreams several times this year.

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
It varies. When I’m getting ready for a craft fair stained glass is on my mind all day every day. I’m between events right now, so I’m trying to take a breather for a week or so.

Do you create daily?
When I’ve got an event, I stay in my studio up to 18 hours a day. The rest of the time, no, I have to clean the house and do laundry sometimes.

How important is it for you to create art?
I have been creating “something” all my life. I’ve done crewel embroidery, counted cross stitch, I have made bench cushions and roman shades, hand painted plaster figurines, among other things. I’ve stuck with stained glass which satisfies my creativity like nothing else.

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?
Certainly. I’ve never had a manicure, because I grind my fingernails along with the glass!

Describe your studio.
My studio takes up half the laundry room in the basement. My space is 10 x 10 with plenty of storage shelves. My husband built my work table for me and built in a rack for my glass sheets. We recently put up drywall, lighting and ceiling tiles. I have 2 task lights attached to the shelves above my work bench. My spare table is covered with boxes of scrap glass and needs to be better organized. I build windows on the pool table, which is in the rec room, which is next to the laundry room. I like it because it is out of the way and I can work undisturbed and also get the laundry done.

Tell me something about you.
I have lived in the Nashville area all my life, but we plan on moving out of the suburbs to someplace remote and quiet in a year or two, someplace I can have horses.I have been married since 1973 and we have 3 grown sons and 2 wonderful daughters-in-law. No grandchildren yet, though. I got my nose pierced for my 52nd birthday just because I’d always wanted to do it. I wear a diamond stud. It was a lot less painful than I thought it would be.

No comments: