Friday, December 19, 2008

Meet Lawatha






I am pleased to introduce you to Lawatha.
You can visit her Esty store here:

I'm 51, have been married almost 33 years. Our son will soon be 31, our daughter is 29. We have no grandchildren yet, so we spoil our two lovable dogs instead. Casey is a 4 yr old golden retriever who can do no wrong, and Bailey is almost one years old. He is a cairn terrier and a constant source of entertainment. He is one funny little guy.
I've been working with stained glass for over 25 years. I started fusing 2 years ago and since then have been neglecting stained glass in favor of fusing. I love opening the kiln and seeing how the glass transforms after fusing.

I am retired from civil service, and now consider my glass business my full-time job. I love the flexibility of working when I want, and taking days off when I want. I generally put in anywhere from 4 to 12 hours a day on glass and my glass business.

I also love photography, and I've found a way to combine my photography with glass by making color decals of my pictures and fusing them onto glass. I also use my customer's photos to make personalized photo pendants for them. Those are usually pictures of their children or their dogs, but I can use any picture or design they give me.

I don't consider working as an artist a sacrifice at all. In fact, it's the opposite. If I were to go back to a 9 to 5 job, that would be a sacrifice. Giving up being able to work on glass, giving up my photography, would be a sacrifice. I don't feel I've given up any of life's luxuries, my needs and wants are pretty simple. In addition to glass and photography, the loves of my life are my family and my dogs. That's pretty simple.

My studio began as a little corner in my husband's wood shop. He built me a wonderful workbench and fixed up 1/4 of the shop as my glass studio. Soon I was taking over his workbench. I added a second kiln and needed more room. I now have possession of half the shop, and I'm still spreading over into his work area. Soon it will be all mine, and he'll have to build himself a second shop. Well not really, but we joke about it all the time.
Lawatha

No comments: