Sunday, May 9, 2010

Meet Joe of Jwinterbowerglassart









Meet Joe of Jwinterbowerglassart

You can visit his shop here:
http://www.jwinterbowerglassart.etsy.com/

How many years have you worked with glass?
About five years, many of them full time.

What triggers ideas for new projects?
I like the peacefulness of nature and would like to someday be able to sit down to my torch and recreate the beauty I see there.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
What if I mix this with that? What if I apply it like this, instead of the usual way. The ideas come through experimenting. I don't have a big think tank, lol.

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
Probably about 60% between taking care of my family and the stresses of everyday life. But there is a corner of my mind that is always rolling ideas around.

Do you create daily?
I do try to get out there and make something every day. There is an irresistible pull that propels me towards it. I continue to take classes to learn new techniques and that helps keep my creative juices going.

How important is it for you to create art?
I believe we are made in God's image, and he is the "Creator", and therefore has given us the same enjoyment in creating. I do think it's important.

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Well, I'd love to make a living doing it, lol, but my priority isn't money. It's the joy of the chase, like a hound dog on the trail of a rabbit. I don't consider it a sacrifice.

Describe your studio:
I sit at a desk in my garage, not fancy at all. I can look out and see our back yard with it's birds and squirrels and our two Collie dogs playing and it's peaceful and I'm in my "happy" place.

Tell me something about you: I love my wife, she's put up with me for 26 years, you know, and the best is yet to come!

No comments: