Friday, May 8, 2009

Meet Natasha Of ArtsDesireGlass







Meet Natasha Of ArtsDesireGlass
You can visit her shop here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5856708


How many years have you been an artist?
It's hard to say. I've been making and selling fused glass jewelry for about a year now. But I was an art major in college and worked in painting, drawing and glass casting and blowing. Even in grade school and high school I took private art lessons and loaded up on the art offerings at school. I went to the Kentucky Governor's School for the Arts - an auditioned summer program for high school artists of all kinds - and I think I knew then that I would always have art in my life.

How many years have you worked with glass?
Since 1998. I was lucky enough to go to Centre College in Danville, KY where Stephen Rolfe Powell is a professor. He's a world-renowned glassblower and many of the students in the art program switch their concentration - in my case painting and drawing - to glass. It's hard to resist the pull when you've got someone so inspiring to work with. Centre also has great abroad programs and I got to visit Murano, Italy while I was living in France for a semester in 1997. After that, I knew I had to try glass when I came home.

What triggers ideas for new projects?
A lot of times my ideas are triggered by thinking about the artistic process - like layering colors in a painting, elements of composition, or looking at the process of artist I admire.

When do ideas come to you? How often?
About once a month I have one of those 'A-Ha!' moments when I think "Ooooh, I've got to try this". Then I usually let it roll around in my mind for a week or so while I gather the right materials.

What percentage of the day do you think about or work on your art?
Usually it's probably about 1/4 to 1/2 depending on other household chores. Since I'm self employed I can keep whatever hours I like and my husband works full time so I try and keep things running smoothly around the house. But lately the house is a mess because I've been spending my whole day preparing for spring and summer shows! I finally went to the grocery store yesterday since we had nothing to eat or drink!

Do you create daily?
I try to, but some days get absorbed with paperwork and promotion

How important is it for you to create art?
Even when I'm not actively 'arting' I'm always looking for ways to be creative. There's an art to everything, you just have to find it. I guess that's my roundabout way of saying that creating art is very important to me - even if you're not making artwork. Did that make any sense? :)

Do you feel that choosing the artist’s life has been a sacrifice?
Have you given up certain luxuries?
No matter what career path you choose, there are sacrifices involved. When I sold furniture I gave up weekends and when I when I was a membership director there was a lot of travel. I love being around other people and as an artist that is the biggest sacrifice for me. Studio time can be lonely and I'm always happy when it's show time and I can talk to people face-to-face. However, I have found wonderful and supportive friends here in the CGGE who keep me entertained when I'm feeling like a one woman sweat shop.

Describe your studio.
My studio is a spare bedroom which contains my work table where I cut glass, another table for paperwork, and a computer desk with my beloved Mac. The other half of the studio is in the kitchen where I've got a rolling cart with my kiln and a grinder that I put on the counter top to grind. I also take all of my photos by the sliding glass door in the kitchen. I try to keep it pretty minimal since we don't have a very large apartment.

Tell me something about you:
Oh gosh, I never know what to say with these kinds of questions. How about this? In my family my name is 'normal'. My Granny is Ruthalea, Great Grandmother was Leora, she was married to Rufus and my Great Aunts and Uncles were Commodore, Red, Lawrence, Cordia, Rithie and Leota. Genealogy is my hobby and I love learning more about these people and the lives they lived.

No comments: